As you might know, AirPrint is an Apple technology that allows printing directly from the iPad to the printer. Most label printers (Dymo, Evolis, Zebra) do not support the AirPrint technology.
As these printers cannot communicate directly with the iPad, the solution is to install a proxy between the iPad and the printer. This proxy needs to be installed on a computer that is on the same network as the iPad.
In the example below, iPad 1 prints on printer 1 via a proxy installed on computer 1 while iPad 2 (eg in another part of the building) prints on printer 2 via a proxy installed on computer 2.
Of course, the principles outlined work for many other combinations (e.g. 2 iPad devices – 1 computer – 2 printers; or 5 iPad devices – 2 computers – 3 printers).
Steps to follow
- Please start by configuring printing from iPad 1 as if there was only one printer by following the default instructions for non-AirPrint printers.
- At this stage, if you add other iPad devices they will also print on printer 1. In order for iPad 2 to print on printer 2 via computer 2 instead, please follow these steps:
- On iPad 2, go to the iPad settings, then click on Proxyclick in the left menu
- Go to “Overwrite printer IP address defined in dashboard” and enter the IP address of computer 2
- Go to “Printer name” and enter the full name of printer 2. In the example below, we entered “DYMO LabelWriter 450 Turbo”
Done. Your iPad 2 prints on printer 2. Please let us know in case you have any questions. Thank you!